Me: Hi, my name is Mrs Lemon, and I am a not-good-at-asking-for-help-aholic*
Them: Hi, Mrs Lemon
So, like I said, Splenda is living with us full-time now. We've made a lot of adjustments, and we're seeking professional counseling to help our family adjust in the right direction.
Our counselor is wonderful! She is observant, comfortable to talk to, affirming, guiding, and I like her and want to bake her some muffins.
She also has a cunning way of bringing perspective. Splenda was diagnosed about a year ago with Tourette's Syndrome. Honestly? I have not really thought much about how it would affect our day-to-day activities. To me, it was just another pill to give her. Dr Awesome brought to my attention that it goes WAY deeper than making sure her medicine is on time.
It scares the fruit snacks out of me! Lucky for my countertops, being scared of something out of my control makes me want to scrub my house. Unlucky for my husband, it also makes me want to control other stuff that ultimately doesn't matter. The Lord is working on me about that, but until then, I will clean.
I need to do more research about Tourette's so I can have a better grasp on it. This is where you come in - maybe you can help?
Does your child or someone in your family have Tourette's?
What websites or books do you recommend?
What are some routines you have successfully implemented (ie: school days, church activities, family gatherings, or other opportunities for stress)?
Feel free to shoot me an email if you feel like your comment/situation is too personal to post, but I welcome your non-judgy advice. Especially if it includes eating lots of cream cheese while I'm reading.
*Not at all poking fun at AA, NA, or any of the A's - I like to be clever when I'm nervous. It usually backfires, in case you were wondering. Hence, this disclaimer.
2 comments:
I don't know a whole lot about Tourette's, but I do know that the guy who was the USA's goalie during the World Cup (Tim Howard) also has Tourette's.
I'm visiting from Jewel at Down in my Little Valley & am now following! So cool that you were able to meet her in person!
I'm formulating my email... it may take me a bit though since I have my own toddler and McGrabby fingers running around. ;)
Post a Comment