Monday, August 11, 2008

Met My Mate Monday - Part I

I love me some carnivals ... sometimes I even participate.

Most of you have been reading my blog since Before Mr Lemon, but for the Lemony record and new people, I'm gonna post it here too. Plus, I love rehearsing what God did for us. It makes me all lovey dovey, and Mr Lemon likes the lovey dovey Mrs Lemon.

............................
I asked my ex-husband for a divorce on December 3, 2006 because of all of the not keeping of the marriage vows and stuff that I was sick of pretending was okay when it wasn't. December 5th I filed for divorce, and he left town the same afternoon. Don't let the door ... you know the rest.

Maybe a week, two weeks later? I started seeing I wasn't in love with him anymore. That was quick. And that I was pretty, young, and not going to be single for the rest of my life.

I began praying for my future husband, and asked God to help me learn how to be in the right relationship, and how to be single and remain pure. I thought I'd date around and have a good time. But, I realized pretty quickly that as a leader in my church that I had more of a responsibility in my dating relationships than just having a good time. I had been a youth leader for 5+ years, and those same students were watching me very closely now.

So, I prayerfully made a list of the qualities that were necessary for my future husband. I'm not sure where that list is right now, Mr Lemon has it somewhere. But it was so specific, I even wrote down the height. 5'10", at least. Because I love my high heels, and I wanted to be able to wear them with pride, and still look up to My Man.

On a funny note, Sis Pastor's Wife helped me with this list without really knowing. She would say stuff like, "Your husband needs to be Tall, Dark, and Handsome. Oh, and he needs to either snore louder than you, or sleep like a rock." Check, check, check, and check.

I was finished with my list by the time my divorce was final February 27, 2007. So, it wasn't just some random scratchings on notebook paper. I wrote it out on parchment paper with a Sharpie, in my very best handwriting, and I would take it out every time I would pray. I asked God to bless me with the husband He wanted me to have for the rest of my life.

On February 11th, three people I'd never seen before in my life strolled into the evening service. I thought they were just random visitors, didn't really give it a second thought. I introduced myself to be friendly, shook Mr Lemon's hand and said "Hi, I'm ~L~." He said "I'm Mr Lemon." I gestured wildly and said, "There's the bathrooms." Then I promptly shut my mouth before anything else stupid could escape, and we had church.

At the end of the service, Pastor asked Mr Lemon to testify. This was out of the ordinary because Pastor rarely asks a visitor to testify, so naturally I perked up my ears and kept playing mellow background music. Mr Lemon just flat out preached for a few minutes. My head swiveled so fast I had to straighten my glasses. Sis Pastor's Wife was across the sanctuary, she raised her eyebrows, and mouthed to me "DO YOU KNOW HIM?!?!?" I shook my head and kept playing, trying to look at Mr Lemon out of the corner of my eye (because he is so cute! and now he's not just a random visitor! but he is preaching! with a Kentucky accent! be still my beating heart!).

After church, I went out to start my car so it'd be nice and cozy. Mr Lemon was in his car, the other two visitors (his sister and her husband) had already pulled out of the parking lot. I promise, and would swear if I swore, that I did not go out to my car at that moment to get another look at Mr Lemon. Scout's honor. But, since he was out there, I didn't shut my eyes. He backed out, rolled down his window, waved, and said (again with the hot Kentucky accent!) "I enjoyed your playin' and your singin'." I just waved and I'm sure I said something, but I just hope it wasn't "Thank you for being so good looking, I appreciate that."

I hope to God it wasn't that.

...More next Monday...

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm loving this! Can't wait for the next installment!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Hmmmm...I like all these lemony details! Very sweet. Can't wait til next Monday. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Lemons love story.. and as a woman married to a boy with a strong Kentucky accent.. I have to agree.. I love My Husband's KY accent... I love Love stories.. Did I ever tell you Our story.. If not read I just posted it on EA..
Love you girl..
Jodi

KarenK said...

Oh girl. How I love you so. You crack me up.

kate said...

Girl, you are the cuteness. So sweet!

Valerie said...

I am loving this!! I can't wait to hear the rest.

I am sorry but I had to chuckle at the 5'10" requirement. :)

Anonymous said...

I just literally laughed out loud at you. I rarely do that for a blog, I just totally could see you saying, "Thank you for being so good looking!" ha!
Love ya!

The Broken Man said...

Oh, you can't stop there! I want to know what happened next! Don't you know I'm no good at delaying gratification?!

The Broken man

http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com said...

I have been reading you since before the big D (d-i-v-o-r-c-e), and I still love hearing about how you and Mr. Lemon met and fell in love!

sweet mama entropy said...

Too cute! Love it. And love the new look to your blog. Glad to "find" you again.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. You have such a way with words and I can just see you saying "Thank you for being so good-looking!"
I can't wait to read more.
~Debi

Post a Comment