Thursday, August 7, 2008

If that's still there after midnight, it's goin' in my living room

Freecycle is one of my new and cool friends online. It's an organization that is nationwide, but you join a Yahoo group in your area.

The premise is to help recycle perfectly good junk to someone who actually needs it, without having ANY money exchanged. It's the online equivalent to digging in someone's curbside garbage - only you know exactly where to go to get that stuff. The tax preparer in me wants to donate to Goodwill, get a receipt, and deduct on my taxes. But, by Freecycling an item, I know that it is definitely going to someone who needs/wants it, and I am happy with that. I'll never have another yard sale again, no sirree, so for clothes I'll stick with Goodwill/tax deduction.

To date I have gotten rid of:
-wedding decorations that I'll never use again because HEY! I just got married last year for the last time!
-a partial package of diapers that Zesty had a bad reaction to
-a ton of barely used lotions/creams/bath washes that I didn't like the scent, but I couldn't bear to throw away
-baby formula checks
-a blender that was taking up space

I have requested and received:
-a bag of clothespins

I have a lot of fun with it. And by fun I mean that I don't get out much, so it makes my day when I have to do a Freecycle dropoff.

Do you Freecycle?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't use Freecycle...yet.

Anonymous said...

I have a good friend who uses freecycle very often. She's gotten brand new shoes, clothes, landscaping items/flowers, hundreds of dollars worth which she shared with me and I got a whole flower garden absolutely free. She's gotten furniture, all kinds of goodies. I've never actually been able to pull it up online though...I know, sounds weird. And don't give up on yard sales with baby/kids stuff. I almost always make at least $300 and a friend of mine makes MUCH more. It's worth it for a day or two. :)

Anonymous said...

I have used freecycle. I need to pay attention more and post more. It's a great tool.

Anonymous said...

I belong to my local freecycle group, but have never got anything from them. Some of the stuff people have wanted off there-trailers to live in, computers, etc. have been interesting to say the least.

Yes, I sure someone is going to give up a trailer!

Anonymous said...

I had eight people asking for a hide-a-bed couch that I was getting rid of. I have been good, and not requested, or asked for anything that has been posted.

Valerie said...

When I read your tweet about it, I googled it, read up on it and joined my local group. I have plenty of junk, uh, I mean treasures to get rid of.

Thanks for educatin' me. :)

Post a Comment