Not because Mr Lemon won't let me. He'd be thrilled with a little decorating, probably. It's just that I can never decide what I like. That is the reason I have the same curtain in both my living room and in Splenda & Zesty's room, and no curtain in my bedroom. Sis Pastor's Wife redoes her curtains every other year or so, and I've just been grateful for the hand-me-downs through the last 9 years because I didn't have to DECIDE.
I'm even willing to keep up pictures of people I don't know in the lovely collage frame my step-momma-in-law gave me for Christmas because I don't have to DECIDE what pictures to put in it. Zesty likes the dog.
I do really like the display I have over top of my couch.
I got that at Kohl's with a Christmas gift card, I was really proud of myself for that purchase. Until Ogre came in and said "orderly squares - ur doin it wrong" and fixed it. Then Splenda noticed out loud that they aren't any of them the same swirlies. And, I have tea-lights instead of regular candles because I forgot to buy them. That was about eight months ago ... I can't DECIDE.
Can you feel the indecision tonight? Seriously, I am Decorating Dumb. I know that I like things simple. Not cluttered with knick-knacks and stuff. The most creative decorating I've ever done is my bookcase. There's a wreath on top with some photos artfully positioned in front of it. See?
But The Lemons, we are grown up, and we recently bought a "real" kitchen table.
I say "real" because the one we've been using is a 2 person dropleaf that we're now using as a coffee table. When Splenda was here, we'd drag in the office chair from the desk so we could all three sit together. Check it out! Four chairs - one of them is ready for Zesty with a booster seat (not shown in the highly technical photo I took with my cell phone three days ago). When it's expanded with the self-stored leaf, it will seat eight. I'm excited about that.
But with this new table comes a newfound responsibility to put something on it for when we aren't eating. Like a runner, and placemats, and a centerpiece of some sort.
That's where you all come in. May I ask you to pretty pleasy mac 'n' cheesy direct me to a dining room display that you think I might like? A few things to keep in mind would be:
1) must be able to be outfitted at Target/Kohl's/Old Time Pottery/Somewhere Else That Isn't WalMartSeriously, folks, I'm considering just putting my plates, bowls and silverware on the table to make it look like I'm a casual decorator with form and function. But we all know it'd be out of desperation to make a decision.
2) simple would be great
3) if anyone mentions candlelight, I think I'll gag
10 comments:
Oh, Mrs. Lemon....I can't believe you!!! At least fill that collage with pics of the beautiful children! That's not so difficult, goofy! Even put your favorite wedding pics....you're still newlyweds!
As far as the table, I change mine at least with every season, if not more, so I might scare you. You choose if you want placemats or a runner, you could even do a bowl of fruit in the middle to keep it really simple. Whatever tickles your fancy! :)
Sounds like you have a quandry. BUT, here's my two cents...DO NOT put dishes on your table. I know some people do that and everyone says 'aw, look at that table setting'. But everytime you want to eat you have to remove it all. In my humble opionion (for what it's worth), and what I myself do (since I am not 'girly' or like clutter myself in decorating); I have a nice candle holder purchased through Home Interiors that I use. It's a funky design that the candle sits down in, doesn't collect much dust, and it's one item to move off the table. You can puchase soemthing similar at Target or anywhere else.
I forgot to mention that the grown up table we got is counter-height. That might make a difference in decorating it?
Misty - I also have a lovely frame to put our favorite wedding picture in - I haven't printed it yet, but it is hanging on the wall. Empty. So so sad. Sis W would be so disappointed. lol!
Leish - I wasn't even talking about table settings. I was thinking just plop the clean plates and a canister of silverware in the center of the table. So boring, but functional.
Looks pretty!
Why not just a live green plant in the center of the table? With a runner? I'm kind of a less is less is more person in my decor, though.
Oh, how I wish I could help, but I have a horrible sense of decorating myself. My table has salt & pepper shakers on it...and that's it. :)
For the grown up table (which I love btw) to go with the whole blog lemon theme that I'm sure you carry over into your real life :)...why not a tall vase filled with lemons.
If fresh, put em in a vase with water. Some sliced, some not so sliced.
If artificial, put em in a vase maybe with some clear pebble thingys. You can find the pebbles at Pier 1. The artificial lemons often at craft stores.
As for the strangers in your picture frames...I'd cut the heads out of some of your pictures and paste 'em on the bodies of all the people.
'Cause that's classy.
Give it a year and zesty will decorate it with his "stuff." I'm becoming famous around these parts for yelling, "There's kid stuff on the table and no food will appear until it is gone!"
Viola! No decorating needed. What I wouldn't give for a cleared off table. (Not willing to give up my kids, however, which creates a problem.)
Sorry for raising you with such a decorating-inability! As you well know, I unfortunately deal with the clutter type of decorating when I would much prefer the less is more approach.
Decorate?? Only in my dreams. I have big dreams, but lack in the department of bringing them into fruition. Right now, I have the cluttered-too-much-stuff-in-this-room-don't-buy-any-more-toys look. I am working on it though (that's the story of my life).
We also have a pub table and I tried to have something on the massive table, but less is more on the table, because I hate moving it all to eat. That Samuel feels its fair game if it's on the table. Remember, he's a great climber. I would use a huge vase or some such item and fill it with colored marbles. I like simplicity.
You have plenty of pics to fill that frame though.
Good luck!
I HAVE MORE CURTAINS! s.s.
Post a Comment