I educated Mr Lemon tonight in the ways of snickerdoodles. I think he thought I was kidding when I said "Let's make cookies." I was having a bit of a stressful evening, on top of a stressful month. But sugar and butter seem to make things easier to handle.
The Official Betty Crocker Snickerdoodle Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup stick butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening
2 3/4 cup self rising flour
Topping - 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Cream together the sugar, butter, eggs, and shortening. Stir in flour carefully. Roll the dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll each ball into the cinnamon sugar mixture, and place on ungreased cookie sheet 2" apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing with a spatula. This should yield 3 dozen cookies, if you don't eat most of the dough first. Admire briefly before devouring with a glass of cold milk.
(Who am I kidding? That last line should have read "Admire very briefly ...")
I've made these ten or eleventy billion times. As a kid, Mom would pull out this recipe on a rainy day. Now I know why - the ingredients were always on hand, no matter how broke we were :) And as a sidenote - butter is better in this recipe than margarine. The cookies are chewier, not as crispy.
4 comments:
Yum Yum!!!!
After ruining a batch of Snickerdoodles as a kid, I can't eat them anymore.
My cousin and I (after ruining them together) have dubbed them Snickerbricks.
Yours look yummy, though!
Some of my fondest memories are of rolling those delicious little dough balls through cinnamon and sugar with my mom. YUMMY for sure. She had to keep telling me to stop eating them or we wouldn't have any to bake!!
We will actually be making these sometime in the next few days. We are also making choco chip--I feel my hips getting bigger and my attitude getting better.
Sugar and butter do make all things better.
I've heard about these before and I bake tons of cookies every year, but I don't think I've ever had one! The sound great!
Post a Comment