Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lazy Susan Gets A Job

I don't have a lazy susan.  I'm lazy enough for the both of us.

::ba-da-BING!::

But I did have an overworked shelf for my spices.  It was crowded, unorganized, and probably the most often used area of my kitchen.

I also had some wasted space in the cabinet I keep my cups in, and decided to do some rearranging.


It's my hobby.  Some might call it a sickness.  But we don't go there.

I realized that my larger spices could use a friend to help them stay organized ... so I searched around the house for what I could use to make a lazy susan.  

We have a spare microwave, so I took out the turntable plate and the little wheely thing underneath.  I tried several regular plates to see if they would support the wheely thing under the turntable plate and thusly turn the turntable plate.  A plate whose sole duty is to turn, turn, turn, and show me all my favorite spices and seasonings.  Nothing would work though, because of the alien looking thing in the middle that rotates the plate.

After a bit of tinkering and some scary Blues-clues-like thinking, I give you Susan -    the lady of leisure who now resides in my cabinet:

That's a 7" embroidery hoop that I picked up this evening - the center circle was thisclose to
being perfect, so I cut it.  Took some wood glue and overlapped the ends about 3".
It mainly just stabilizes the plate, since the alien looking thing in the middle that
usually turns the plate doesn't have a hole to sit in.  

Susan's roommates, the basket o' small spices, can opener,
canister of salt, EVOO, and that classy container on the top shelf, left side -
That's full of Carnation.  Mr Lemon, Splenda, and Pinky can't live without it.
The best part is? Only $1.37 spent for the embroidery hoop.  Zesty has taken over the outer ring as his "special circle" since he can loosen and tighten the screw to his heart's content.

Entertainment for the toddler, and organization for the Momma at the cheeeeeeeap price of $1.37? I do belive that qualifies for Frugal Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment