One room in our house that I definitely want to repaint and furnish to my complete satisfaction soon is our bedroom. With three kids in the house, Daddy and Momma need one place of quiet and refuge and SILENCE. It's a very nice-sized room, with a fantastic closet. With all that open space on the floor and the walls that I'm still not quite used to having, I feel like it needs to have more structure.
(Is that possible, for a room with four walls, ceiling, floor, closet, door, and two windows to have more structure? I'm so weird. I know.)
Here's the root of my wall issue: I'm simply not good at picking out wall decorations. I don't like sets - I don't want to buy a huge wall hanging just to take up space on the wall. I love shelves, and dressers, but not knick-knacks.
I do think I finally have the furniture placed the way I want to keep it. I plan to slipcover the pleather recliner. The curtains are staying, so my color scheme needs to stick close to blue and brown. A real headboard and some kind of bench at the end of the bed is definitely on the short list. An area rug is necessary - I like this one for my bedroom and also the family room downstairs - so that Mr Lemon's black sock fuzz does not show quite so conspicuously. bless his heart. Every time he gets a new pack of socks, they shed for about six months.
I finally found a picture of what I've been envisioning. It's like they built a time machine, came to 2010, read my mind, and went back and worked for three years on the room JUST so I could email them and ask permission to pretty please use their picture on my blog. This would totally solve my inner conflicts about how to decorate all this space!
Photo credit: Remodelaholic - Master Bedroom Remodel
Image used with permission
Isn't it perfect? Imagine the top wall color being blue ...
screenshot from Behr
or chocolate brown...
screenshot from Behr
With that crisp white wainscoting, I love that it is about two-thirds of the wall height. That takes up a lot of wall space, and in my opinion, allows me to be more bold in my color choice for the top part of the wall.
I know - blue or brown doesn't sound very bold when you think about my sister's burnt orange living room (which - AWESOME!) but it won't be the apartment-complex-cheap-flat-nasty-cream that I have been enduring for the past 6 years or so.
Do your part to keep Mr Lemon alive as long as long as possible: help me overanalyze in silence. Discuss.
And if you have some thoughts about a brand of black socks that does not shed, I'd love to know about that too.



6 comments:
Blue gets my vote. You can bring in the brown with dark woods in frames, shelves, and furniture.
Incidentally, J's socks DON'T shed, but I have no clue what kind they are. Bad wife.
I am into blue nowadays too! Good luck with the project, we LOVED this room and I still miss it!
I am so desparate for warm rich color in my little rental house - that red makes my heart beat faster (but blue is my next vote - probably the 2nd one down). And that room is awesome!
Socks. My husband buys Stafford brand socks at Penny's...white and black. They're the thick cotton ones with no shedding. I just saw him pull a pair out and as he commented about how happy he was to have his new black socks (bought them this week), I thought of you! And promptly asked him for details. ;D
Merry Christmas, Mrs. Lemon and family!!
I also like the blue.Talk to your sister when you're up. She will fill your head with ideas.
BTW, Try some cotton black socks. They don't shed as much as nylon or tricot.
BLUE! I LOVE the wainscoting on those walls.
And I MUST see a picture of this burnt orange color; I'm sure it will make my heart beat faster. :)
One of the many things I love most about you is the way you see a project and you GET. IT. DONE.
I vote for the brown. I love blue, also, but I think the brown might be more versatile in the long run.
I buy Hubs the gold toe black cotton/lycra blend socks from Target. No fuzzies to shed because they aren't knitted.
Post a Comment