One of the songs is Gwoffaw and Elmo singing about (ahem) accidents. "Accidents happen, that's what they say // Accidents happen, whether night or day..."
Hey. No judgy. CONSTANT REPLAY.
So I've been working with him, not about pottying, because that would be too obvious a topic choice for a 2 1/2 year old and a potty video. Although at some point, I will have to get serious about it ... it's not going to be during this blog post.
Where was I, before the competitive voices of "MY kid was potty trained at 18 months!" started echoing? Oh yeah. I have been working with him on his manners. I figure it will come in handy when he thanks his sixth grade teacher for changing his diaper.
He says please, thank you, bless you, 'scuse me, and you weccome! He also knows to wipe his mouth with a mappin while he's eating, and when he spills his juice, he wipes it up. Uh-oh! A MESS! wanna ANOTHER BAFF!
Here's my problem with that - I'd really like to not raise a boy who doesn't want to get dirty. My favorite days are when I have to give him two baths. I don't know what it is that makes me so happy that his clothes are a mess. I know. I'm weird. I'm okay with that.
But the other night I made a yummy yummy supper. My Alfredo dinner. Grilled chicken tenderloins, steamed broccoli, tri-color rotini, and homemade alfredo sauce.
(Don't get all excited, it's the recipe on the back of the evaporated milk I buy from Save-A-Lot.)
(And YES, actually, it is TO DIE FOR. Use real garlic, though, not garlic powder. Melt it with the butter. Add Italian seasoning until it looks like too much, and then add more. That's my secret. You weccome!)
Pinky ate most of hers, and Zesty picked at his side order of Save-A-Lot cheez-its that he dipped in the alfredo sauce. I cleaned up the plates, and just as I reached for Pinky's suction cup bowl
I had to restrain myself from howling out loud, die of internal combustion, come back to life, and very sternly explain the difference between an accident and a mess.
Then I cleaned up my beautiful dinner off the floor, gave him a bath, and changed his diaper.
The end.
*That is an actual line from the video. I laugh every time. You weccome!
4 comments:
We have that DVD too... it's not helped us, but it's adorable.
When I think about how Nathan isn't potty trained, I also like to think about all the good things about him (his manners, he knows his letters and numbers, he can say his ABCs and count to 17 (no idea why it stops there), knows his colors and shaps, plays well with others, etc.). I just KNOW they won't go to high school in pull-ups. I just know it.
Here's the thing: People who say their kid was potty trained early are wrong: THEY were potty trained, not their kid! He'll potty train when he's good & ready to!
You are doing some serious Save-A-Lot advertisign today. I must say that is my favorite store.
Before you beat yourself up over the potty thing.... totally don't sweat it! A) boys generally do it later than girls and the process takes longer. B) He's had a lot of big changes in his life in the last year, new sister, new house, big sister moving in full time... he's little give him time to adjust to all of that. C) For my girl, we had to have "just the right potty". Evidently, the pink princess throne was the one for her. Sure wish I knew that. It was the 4th one I bought. Thought I'd make things easier on myself and buy the kind that is a ring that just sits on the regular toilet so I didn't have another potty to clean... but she saw a kids sit down potty at a friends house and promptly told me that if she had her own sit down potty she would use it. Guess who stopped at Target on the way home!??! ;) Totally worked. She was 100% trained in 1 day. Who knew????? She was 2yrs 9months and we had just brought her baby brother home 3 months before.
Post a Comment