Monday, May 3, 2010

It's that time, ladies and gentlemen

This has been coming for awhile now, this parting of ways.

It's just not fun anymore. You start something with the best of intentions, that excitement of fulfilling goals ... the research has lent itself to expertise ... and then the fun evaporates. It becomes such a chore, and the stress ... gah ... the stress!

I'm not talking about marriage. I'm not talking about the blog. I'm talking about poo.

We're done cloth diapering. D.O.N.E. I gave it a good try cloth diapering both babies, and that was not working for us. So we graduated Zesty to disposables only, and continued for a time with Pinky. Pinky, however, has a totally different shaped bottom than Zesty. of course. she's a girly. It made a huge difference with the diapers, though. They do not fit her the same way. They do not offer the same leak protection that we got with Zesty.

Frankly, Frank, we have just as many blowouts as we do containments.

When I entered tax season this year, the cloth diapering momentum came to a screeching, tire-burning halt.

I finally admitted this to my husband about a month ago, and he restrained himself from having a shout-down all over the house. He also refrained from I told you so, and I saw this coming.

He's a very smart man.

I sold my stash through Baby Cotton Bottoms Bargain Basement, which I completely recommend for a new cloth diapering family to check out for fantastic deals. For the record, the Sew Natural diaper I reviewed some time ago was included in that box at no additional cost. I did not take any money for a diaper I received fo' free, no ma'am I did not.

I'm thankful for the experience, though. We saved a ton of money in a time when money was very tight, and taught us some valuable laundry lessons. I can say that I diapered my baby for under $.15 per diaper for the first 18 months of his life.

What on earth will I find to obsess over now? Oh right - I have a baby girl that looked a-dor-uh-ble in a handmade dress last night at church.



I have a sewing machine...

...and here we go ...




7 comments:

KarenK said...

Let the new fabric and pattern addiction begin....

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Knowing you like I do, I figured it wouldn't take long to find something for you to obsess over.

MotherT said...

Before you buy patterns, you may want to make a trip North to check out my stash. I'm willing to share.

organicmommy said...

Have fun sewing. I love sewing for my girls too!

~Denise said...

Sewing is good. I just got my first machine a few months ago, now I need some lessons. :)

Target diapers are REALLY good and actually quite affordable, they are either cheaper or on track w/ WM, although they may not come out to be .18cents each. lol Of course you don't have to clean them so you save on the utilities and soap there... who knows maybe it's a "wash"!!! LOL! Get it??? a wash!?!?! :) oh how I crack myself up! LOL

Andrea Bell said...

Girl, just play the coupon game. I never pay more than $.18/diaper for Huggies or Pampers, usually less. www.babycheapskate.com list the deals for each week on Sundays. Congrats for making it as long as you did, I would have quit on day #2 :)

snb said...

you are a saint for doing it as long as you did. i never even remotely considered cloth diapering. and i can't wait to see what erupts from your sewing machine....

Post a Comment