Sunday, November 15, 2009

In which I ramble hormonally about having two distinctly different children

You may have noticed that I had the baby's real name posted on the previous post, but I've since removed it. If you're as woefully behind on reading blogs as I am when you see this, shoot me an email or check out my Facebook page to find out her real name.

And because it's my blog and I get my way on my blog, I've decided to change her bloggy name from Sprite to Pinky. For strange reasons completely unknown to me, I've always categorized the letters A-P as feminine letters, and Q-Z as masculine letters. I don't know why the division is not at M and N, or for that matter, why I think there are girl letters and boy letters. But anyways, now that she is here and in my arms 9 minutes out of 10, I just can't call her Sprite anymore on the blog. But, there is pink lemonade ... and she is a girly girl with lots of pink stuff ... so Pinky will work for me. I hope you can make the adjustment. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough spare time to go back through and edit every post with the name Sprite in it.

So Zesty and Splenda totally are in love with her. They love the idea of her, they love holding her, they love kissing her. They don't love sharing us with her. But, that will just take time, and hopefully Momma and Daddy are made of good quality elastic and can stretch around all three without snapping.

Here's a shot of the five of us (FIVE! OH MY WORD THERE ARE FIVE OF US!) when Splenda and Zesty met Pinky.


And the next morning Zesty decided to meet her all over again. That's her paci he stuck in his mouth. Hey, she wasn't using it. She's also trying to nurse his forehead.


He is fascinated with her fingers and toes. He takes her little arms and claps her hands together, and pats her head oh so gently. AND - my favorite - he takes her socks off and says "txtxtxtxtx" like he's tickling her toes! It is precious. Today when I was getting ready for the evening church service, I laid her in the bassinet. She let out a squawk, and Zesty came right over and tried to put her paci in her mouth. She didn't want it, so they played a little game of in-out-in-out, but she stopped crying, and he didn't try to take her out. Yet.

Pinky looks so much like Mr Lemon and Splenda. She has my chin and squeezy squeezy cheeks complete with dimples, but I'm pretty sure now that is where the resemblance ends. Mr Lemon apparently makes very pretty little girls.

She is already so different than Zesty. I would not say that he was a difficult baby, but she is waaaay easier. She wakes up in the night, but doesn't make an ordeal of it. She'll nurse, mess her diaper, and go back to sleep for awhile. She'll sleep with lights on or off, quiet or noisy background. She'll nurse anywhere, without startling at noises. For that matter, she'll take the bottle also without fuss. We had a nurse do a home visit Friday, and she said that babies are 90% alike by the rules, and 10% personality. Pinky appears to be laid back and content, and we're so glad!

Mr Lemon asked me the other day if I felt complete with one of each (boy and girl), and honestly, I never have looked at our family like that. I would have been thrilled if she'd been a boy, not felt gypped at all. I never really saw myself as being a boy mom, but I get down on the floor and play with Z's tools, and blocks, and play ball with him. It is my favorite thing to see him happy and dirty from playing! Now that I have a girly girl, I know that I will enjoy putting all her outfits together, and picking out hairbows, and tea parties! with dolls! I don't know how I lived without children before.

Momma's girl

11 comments:

Sarah said...

You can't go posting pictures of babies. You just can't. I've been quite happy for two months now deciding that we will NOT have anymore children.

Then I see sweet Pinky and I want a baby.

My girls are so different as well. My first being the easy one and this second one...well, she's a cute little monster. ☺ She was three days old the first time her three year old sister picked her up and brought her to me. I almost croaked. Get ready for it! I didn't panic (at least not on the outside), just thanked her for bringing me the baby and then very gently told her only mama and daddy should carry the baby. She waited a few weeks before she did it again.

I'm so excited for you guys! Z looks so big now with a tiny one next to him!

Enjoy every minute, good and crazy.

Valerie said...

OH! What sweet pictures!! I am so abundantly happy for you Mrs. Lemon, I can hear the joy in your post! She just looks so sweet and your family is precious!

MotherT said...

Does this mean that I have to change my posts??? lol Nevermind, I was just joining in on the hormone thing.

Liz said...

Just going forward I'm going with Pinky instead of Sprite. I'm not messing with previous posts because I have lots of baby holding and toddler chasing to do. :)

Jewel said...

Your family is just beautiful, Mrs. Lemon! And the picture of Zesty and Pinky is adorable!!! AND you didn't waste any time dolling up little Pinky! She's precious! So so happy for you!!!! ((HUGS))

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

That last picture is just beautiful! You are a blessed woman!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Code Yellow Mom said...

Pink Lemonade is adorable. :)

I'm amazed every day at the distinct differences the same gene pool can produce. It's marvelous! (But sometimes difficult - because you can never say you have parenting figured out: The same things never "works" for two children!)

Congratulations again. Love how Zesty loves her. That's the best.

OHmommy said...

Awwwwwww....... a million congrats on your family of five!

Eleisha said...

Your family is beautiful liz...and the new addition is very cute. Be careful to decide that because she's a girl she'll be 'girly, girly', she could be tomboy to the core and prove you wrong. :)

~cjoy said...

She is absolutely beautiful and perfect. Congratulations, Mr & Mrs Lemon, Splenda and Zesty!

CODY CLARK said...

Liz, I'm just so dang happy that you are a mommy. What a wait, and what a blessing!

Post a Comment