Monday, September 28, 2009

I knat a hat ... two hats in fact

Like I said the other day, the hat fit an almost 3 yr old. The picture isn't great to show the cables and stuffs, but shows how much she loves the hat!


I used this pattern for the hat. It's my first actual knitting project, I nearly wore out that ball of Wools-Ease Oxford Grey learning the knit and purl stitches, ripping out whatever happened, and redoing it.

As is my custom, I rarely follow directions exactly. I only have one set of knitting needles, size 8, and the pattern required 2 sizes. And, since I don't have a tapestry needle for the seam, I crocheted the seam and did an additional single crochet row around the bottom, and a picot stitch all around for a little bit of decoration. But I did all the knitting rows that it required, to the measurements that it suggested, and it still turned out WAY too big.

So this is my adjusted pattern for the newborn size. It turned out perfect, I can't wait to put it on Miss Sprite.

Newborn Knat Hat
(can I copyright that word?)

Size 8 straight needles
Worsted weight yarn

CO 52
Row 1: *P2, K3 repeat from * to end, last 2 P2
Row 2: *K2, P3 repeat from * to end, last 2 K2
Repeat rows 1 -2 3 times for a total of 6 rows.

Cables:
Row 1: P2 *sl 1, K2, psso, P2 repeat from * to end
Row 2: K2 *P1, yo, P1, K2 repeat from * to end
Row 3: *P2, K3 repeat from * to end, last 2 P2
Row 4: *K2, P3 repeat from * to end, last 2 K2
Repeat cable rows 1-4 5 times for a total of 20 rows, then repeat row 1.

(From here to the end, this is the original pattern)
Decrease Crown:
Row 1: *K2, P2 repeat from * to end of row
Row 2: *P2 tog, K2 tog repeat from * to end of row
Row 3: *K1, P1 repeat from * to end, last 1 K1
Row 4: *K2 tog repeat from * to end, last 1 K1
Row 5: Purl all stitches
Row 6: K2 tog to end of row

Cut yarn, leaving long tail. Thread through tapestry needle and pull through rem sts on needle; draw together. Sew seam. Add pom pom if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment