Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I'm officially a babywearing blogger

Okay, now THIS is my favorite youtube video detailing the hip carry for my Moby. I liked how that I tie it first before I put the baby in. I feel like it's more secure, and it makes the Moby "work" - stretching around all 26 pounds of Zesty.

Mr Lemon was having a good time laughing at me struggling with it, but finally it worked.

"Look, Ma, no hands!"

I can't say that at this beginner stage of babywearing that I will be comfortable toting him on my hip for an all day trip to the zoo or anything. It was nice that he couldn't really wiggle out of it. Sprite will be accustomed to it, though. And we're pretty certain during my babywearing time with her that we won't be pregnant again. yet.

I will definitely be looking out for fabric store sales to make different colored wraps though. I was concerned that the 5 yards of material the Moby is made out of may not be enough, according to what I read on some forums/blogs. But WOWZERS - 5 yards of material is a lot to fold :) I want a black one, and a brown one, and probably a red one ... I have to have red. And the video is worth watching just to see the adorable black with pink print wrap that she was using.

I may even venture out into a pouch sling once I get good and familiar with this one.

13 comments:

Jeana said...

COOL! Do you think any kind of fabric would work?

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

A roll of duct tape can give you the same results. It comes in pretty colors too.

Liz said...

JEANA! Where have you been all my life!?! :>)

95% cotton, 5% spandex is the fabric I'm gonna shoot for, a medium knit/jersey probably. 20" wide - and it's 5.5 meters, not 5 yards. So that would be 6 yards of material, actually.

Tara said...

I have a black one that will need a new home if you are interested

Jewel said...

I'm glad that you like the wrap, Mrs. Lemon, but being the hot blooded person that I am, I would probably roast!
And I'm just curious....why are you using this wrap instead of one of the baby sling things that you strap on?
Of course, I'm wayyyyyy past EVER needing anything of this sort! *smile*

Cacky said...

I absolutely love the picture (You need to make copies and send to some of your family members)
I don't think I could ever get all of the folds down.(Sir nottaguy-Imadad's idea is more on my level)I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy past needing anything of this sort also!!

Valerie said...

Awesome!! I am so upset now. If I had only realized I could do a hip carry I wouldn't have sold it. Oh well, live and learn. Now I'll just have to make one. Hee hee!! I am glad that you like it. I loved wearing Daniel when he was still little and would snuggle in and I could smell his sweet baby smell. . . okay, enough of that. I feel the fever coming back!!

:o)

Table for Four said...

I have a "Hot Mama" style sling (pouch) for baby P & I LOVE it. I actually made mine, using a real "Hot Mama" sling as my pattern, but enlarged it accomodate my "childbearing hips". Anyhoo, it is wonderful. When P was a tiny baby, I could (safely) drop him in and he would sleep like, well, a baby. As he gets older, he can sit up in it and ride on my hip. You will love the pouch style. E-mail me if you're interested in making one and I will give you simple instructions on how to.

P.S. You and Zesty look adorable.

Butterfly Momma said...

I loved, loved, loved wearing ~T~ when he was a baby, and I can honestly say that that is one of the things that I am looking forward to with this baby - there is something so special about it!! I loved the "Moby" (I never had the real thing - I made mine) because the baby is right next to you and there aren't any awkward buckles, etc in the way. I also had a Snuggli, a hip carrier by Playtex and an Ergo (a generous gift from my in-laws, which is great when the baby is a bit older), and a sling. I found that they all served a great purpose (the Snugli was quick and easy to put on in the mall, for example). But I consistently went back to the wrap ... it was just so comfortable to wear, and ~T~ was obviously very comforted by being in it - it was one of the few things that we figured out to do to get him to quit screaming when he was little. It was worth it's weight in platinum for that!! :) Have fun wearing baby Sprite ... it's a delightful part of parenting!!

Jeana said...

Haha! I've been reading, just quietly. I am curious if a long band of fabric would work just as well. Someone told me there was something special about the way the fabric stretches on the Moby. Keep us posted.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I love your dad's comment!!

I still can't decide if this is fabulous, or if this would make my back hurt?! Not that I have any babies at the moment.

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Boy Mom said...

I love the support for the pregnant belly as well as strapping in the toddler. Very nice!

Jessica said...

Moby uses a cotton jersey and it's 5.5 METERS which is 6 yards of fabric...I'm getting one this weekend. I've been researching and researching cause the Girl is too into sitting up and out (now prefering her legs straight) to continue using the sling. I'm gonna miss it. also, Dave wants to "wear" Eva too

Post a Comment