A month or so ago, my OB was concerned about my thyroid, and put me on Synthroid. It's a low dose, but after a couple of weeks I noticed I wasn't hungry at all until about noonish. Being pregnant second time around, I knew this wasn't really normal for me. I told the doctor about my concern, and he advised me to give it another two weeks to adjust, and THEN he said - "Not being hungry can be a good thing sometimes."
?!?!?!
I laughed it off, made some lame joke about being overweight, and left a leetle aggravated. None of the other OBs in the office have ever made an issue about my weight. As a matter of fact, I had to ask to be weighed each visit with my first pregnancy. I only gained 18 pounds with Zesty.
I had a follow up blood test this week, and Dr McMouthy called to let me know everything is fine, just keep up on my medicine. I told him I was feeling better, able to eat, and he AGAIN - said "Not too much, now!"
?!?!?!
?!?!?!
I'm not unsightly. I'm round. Round is a shape. No one ever can guess my weight, and friends who see a cute outfit for me and pick it up almost always get the wrong size. I'm healthy. My cholesterol is perfect. My blood pressure is perfect.
Why then, if I have not asked the doctor about weight loss, would he assume I'm not completely satisfied with how I look, or that my weight is unhealthy?
?!?!?!
5 comments:
I had only gained ten pounds at month eight this time and my Ukraine doctor told me, "Good job. Really, it's a good idea to drink more than you eat, because you really don't want to be any bigger than you are. And after the baby is born, you shouldn't eat so much." Yeah, nice. I guess I'll just depend on myself for the pat on the back for keeping it in check (without meaning to!).
I have to stop and realize that there really are some people who can't fathom people being truly happy with themselves no matter what the scale says.
Maybe you could take a little butterfly bandage with you to your next appointment for the doctor's mouth.
I am rather overweight, and pregnant for the 2nd time, and my doctor is ALWAYS on me about my weight - My & her goal this pregnancy is for me to not gain any weight - I'm at 19 weeks tomorrow & I've gained 1 pound so far. :) I guess I just assumed ALL dr.'s were that way about weight - she talks to me about it EVERY visit. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and thanks for the comment on my blog about the watersling - I'll definitely check it out! :)
I guess considering I have a doctor that at one time told me for a fat lady I was pretty healthy, I've learned to be thick-skinned about doctors' weight comments. They are just doing their job. (And that's what we pay them for.)
Some doctors seem to have a real issue withbody weight. If you are happy withyourself, that is what counts. On the other hand, you know to be aware of sudden weight gain that could mean you are retaining too much fluid. If he offends you again, speak up. He works for you. You are his employer--at least, you are one of them. If he doesn't serve you in what you consider to be an appropriate manner, say so. If he keep up the objectionable remarks, report him.
Theresa is right--we pay them. So if he is aggravating you, call him on it. If he keeps it up, report him. He works for you, and you have the right to define how he interacts with you.
Post a Comment