Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm going to stick to the Hokey Pokey

I have a confession to make.

I'm not the ladylike picture of grace and dignity I portray myself to be on the interweb.

I know you all think I just glide over kitchen floors in my 3" heels like June Cleaver. A veritable ballerina, weaving in and out of the furniture in my home, classical music filling the air and little butterflies flitting around.

Except for the other day when the safety gate was safely keeping Zesty from the kitchen while I mopped. I needed to get to the other side. So I tugged, pulled, and then pushed the gate. With both hands. That was an unfortunate choice, because I had no hands left to catch my FACE PLANT into the carpet.

That was Saturday, and no one was around. I now believe it was just the Lord preparing me for a greater trial.

Sunday afternoon in choir practice I was starting to teach a new song. It has a piece of melody in it that sounds like some song which has some line "on Broadway." I don't know the song. But Mr Lemon does, and apparently so did another member of the choir. It inspired a chorus line style kick from me.

A kick that should have been left well alone to those who know how to chorus line kick. I swung my right leg out, and my left knee gave way. Surprisingly, the fleeting thought was not "Oh no, I'm going to fall," but it was "OH MY GOD I'M ABOUT TO FLASH THE DRUMMER" so I just went on and sank to the floor. Bystanders tell me everyone's hands went out as though to catch me, but there was a keyboard in the way. Because did I mention I was in choir practice? At church? And I was teaching the song, so everyone was paying very close attention to me?

It was funny. You shoulda been there.

9 comments:

~Denise said...

Oh no!!!! but I must admit, I laughed a little. I sure hope you didn't flash the drummer! LOL

Sarah said...

Oh my heck. So wish I had seen that one.

MotherT said...

And thus the reason that I did not make any part of your name Grace!! I have laughed til my sides hurt! You continue to amaze me. You line dance, your dad tries to fly in the sanctuary--no wonder my hair is grey.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Thanks for the laugh! Of course, I am laughing WITH you, not at you. Unfortunately, I can relate. Grace ain't any part of my name either...

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Butterfly Momma said...

Oh, I remember some graceful moments :) Thanks for making my day - I had a good laugh picturing the above stories happening!!

Boy Mom said...

So funny. I'm sorry you fell though!

My two oldest boys favorite Christmas memory is Mom stepping in a pile of flocking at the Christmas tree lot, both feet went 5 feet in the air and I landed on my head in the flocking.

Both boys laugh so hard they wet themselves just from the memory.

Valerie said...

Oh, those wonderful graceful moments that we wish we could forget!! That is so funny. No it's not, yes it is. I can actually see that playing out in my mind. Glad you landed with your humor intact. Hopefully the drummer didn't see too much. :)

Course, now I want to know about your dad trying to fly??

Unknown said...

Now, that is funny. Very funny.

sweet mama entropy said...

Oh, Mrs. Lemon! I'm so sorry. I've had many moments like that - they never get easier :) Glad you can already find humor in it though. That seems to take the sting out a little easier! Keep laughing :)

Post a Comment