Monday, August 25, 2008

Met My Mate Monday - Part III



So Dad had The Shovel Talk with him, but Mr Lemon assured him that he totally understood. He has a daughter, and would feel the same way.

You have to know that at this point, Mr Lemon and I are not exclusive.

Well. That just means I told him I would probably be seeing other guys.

(No one else had asked me out, but that wasn't the point. I wasn't going to just fall in love with the first guy who walked through the church doors, nosirree.)

But after we had such a great time with my cah-RAZY family, and he fit in more comfortably on his first visit than my ex ever had been, I knew that this was not going to be a short casual fling.

I not only dragged him up to meet my parents and very discriminating (and protective) sister, but I said, "Hey! Let's go meet my BEST FRIEND!" On the way over there, we decided we did want to be exclusive, and we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend.

HELLO - Mt Vernon is Smalltown USA. That trip was a 3 minute drive. We decide things quicklike.

After we left my best friend's home to drive 3 hours back here, (be still my beating heart) he asked if he could hold my hand. I don't think I let go the whole trip home. And then he told me that he loved me.

For the next 2 weeks, we floated drove back and forth from my home to his to visit a few times. I met his family and Splenda. We played in the park, talked on the phone, but I don't think our feet touched the ground in that time.

On March 30th, he gave me my last first kiss. I can still close my eyes and remember every second.

The next evening after he got off work, he texted me "I want to see you tonight."

This was fabulous, because I! wanted! to! see! him! too! but he gets off work so late, and had an hour to drive, I was nervous about his urgency. I wanted to see him, but I wanted to throw up too. I seriously thought he was going to break up with me. No, I don't know what was going through my head to make me think that. But everything was so perfect. Mr Lemon was everything on my list that I prayed about. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, for something, anything, to go wrong.

I mean, who gets exactly what they pray for?

We went to Starbucks at about 9:30 at night. Starbucks, oh how I will love thee. I don't even know what all he was saying, because my heart was pounding, but then he got down on one knee. Said all five of my names, and then ... "will you marry me?"

I wasted not one second to say YES! No fancy ring, no fancy dinner, no fancy anything except I had on some cute shoes and my hair looked great. But it didn't matter. We were in love, and we knew it was right.

I kept asking him, "Are we really engaged?!" I couldn't believe it was true. We wanted to wait to tell anyone until we had talked to Pastor and Sis Pastor's Wife, but I couldn't wait. I told Thithy the next day. I'm pretty sure I also told her that we should really wait until September or October to get married.

Yeah right.

We got married June 2, 2007. 11 weeks and 6 days after our first date. A lovely outdoor wedding, under an arch, with our closest friends and family. And CAKE.




And we are living our happily ever after.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely cake!

Sarah said...

I really think that's my most favoritest real life love story.

Love it. Love you guys. Think you're great.

Thank you for sharing it.

KarenK said...

Sooo romantic, Liz!

btw- could you email me? i lost your address.

~cjoy said...

What sweetness...
I'm so glad you shared!

kate said...

Best part of the whole story:

"No fancy ring, no fancy dinner, no fancy anything except I had on some cute shoes and my hair looked great."

Love it, Liz. SO sweet!

Roxanna P said...

Honestly, I think that was one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever been too! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, romantic story of how God gives the best to each other whenever you are in his will.

Loved the 3-part story.

snb-the glamourista said...

i love this story. maybe i'll have one of my own soon.....

Anonymous said...

Do you really have 5 names?

Glad your hair looked good anyways. LOL

Jewel said...

What a great synopsis of a great love story! Thanks so much for sharing, Liz and the cake was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely courtship! Isn't it amazing how when you know, you KNOW? My Daddy God is so cool, I love to see how He's working in lives all over the world!
Love your blog so far...getting addicted to too many too fast, having a hard time keeping up!

Wendy said...

What a great love story. God has certainly blessed you both!

I really enjoy your writing style as well...very entertaining!

Post a Comment