Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beggers can't be choosers with the interweb

I hauled my tail right into Best Buy early Saturday morning once I suspected a virus. I needed a geek. I got those weird pop-ups telling me about Internet Explorer not being my default browser, and would I like IE to be my default browser? ::resounding NO:: Along with some random sounding mouse clicks, it just made me nervous that someone may have hacked my computer. That's why I bought into the mafia protection Geek Squad.

Anyways, I had to back up my important documents and pictures, and take my power cord over also. I made three trips to Best Buy in one day and didn't even leave with anything cool.

Bleh.

My hope is that they clean up the virus without wiping out my hard drive, because I truly only backed up the essentials. It would be nice to not have my checkbook register wiped out.

But, I won't squabble over details. At least I have all the eleventy billion pictures I've taken, and the hundreds of chord charts I painstakingly have saved through the years.

I've said it before, and last night did not change my opinion. My parents are technologically Amish. They have a decent desktop, but eternally slow dial-up. Images take a long time to load. I discovered that their monitor settings needed to be adjusted because Mom was whining complaining mentioning casually that my new blog design was so plain, and why was it just so plain?

"Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis? I prefer to call it classy!"

"But it's just that ... dull ... gray."

"Mom. It's silver digital scrapbooking paper. There are lovely polka dots on the sides. And my header. Did you see my header? I designed it myself (with the help of Shabby Princess images ~PLUG~)."

"I don't see any polka dots."

Sigh. "Let me fix that. You need the polka dots."

So I remedied that little issue and instantly became my Dad's hero. Because now he can redeem his Coke rewards points at home instead of having to go to the library. Because he can see THE WHOLE SCREEN. He said he even emailed the Coke rewards website begging them for a scroll bar on the bottom.

PEB-CAK error. Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

(It's ok. I can make fun of my Dad. Because he's fixing to start blogging, and that's going to be a treat you won't want to miss out on.)

7 comments:

Code Yellow Mom said...

After reading the shovel story, I can't wait to see what your dad blogs about. Yay!

PEB-CAK is hilarious.

And there is some serious hacking going on. We had a huge mess a couple weeks ago. I'm glad you have the geek squad. And that your chord charts are safe. :)

Sarah said...

polka dots? what polka dots?

Valerie said...

LOL That is hilarious. You needed to visit your parents, they needed some help.

I would love to read your dad's blog, the shovel story was too funny. Can't wait to see what he has to say.

Your checkbook may be wiped out, but at least you have the pics!!

PEB-CAK and "technologically Amish"--I was crying from laughing. You are too much!!

Have fun with the parents!! Mr. Lemon go to, or just you and Zesty?

KarenK said...

PEB-CAK.

That's the best new thing I've read all day.

MotherT said...

All of you wonderful readers would not believe the amount of grief that Mrs. Lemon and Ogre (our two lovely daughters) give us about our lack of technology savvy!!! They keep forgetting, we grew up without computers, as a matter of fact, I was in college before I ever had a class, and that was Basic and Cobal (?). Yep, it was that long ago!

Rochelle said...

Technology scares me! Seriously!!

I always feel guilty laughing at you... uh... WITH you...

:)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to start reading your daddy's blog. He's hysterical in person, so I'm on pins and needles to see how articulate he is "on paper".
~Debi

Post a Comment