I mean, with all the non-sleeping I did the night before, and the applying saline drops to my baby's congested nose. That was the highlight, really. Having to make my baby cry, even though it was good for him.
(No one ever described the feeling of powerlessness that you experience when he is gagging on mucous and you're just willing him to hack it out on you.)
But, he slept from 10pm to 6am this morning. Being sick wears a little guy out, you know. He's on his 3rd nap of the day so far.
................................................................................
We're taking our first trip to the zoo tomorrow as a family. I could use a little advice in this area. I'm considering taking the stroller and the baby carrier, because we will have to also take:
- the diaper bag
- Splenda's insulin
- a smallish cooler for drinks & snacks so as not to waste a fortune on concessions
Any other "must haves" for the zoo? And what's the verdict on sunscreen for babies? I put some on him when we went to a Memorial Day picnic, and then afterwards read on the internet that you shouldn't put sunscreen on babies under 6 months.
(Of course, I believe everything I read on the internet.)
Why 6 months? Would the health industry rather have a sunburned infant than a possible skin reaction? Also, before someone contacts CPS on us, we are going in the morning to try to beat the heat. If it rains, it rains. The better to smell the giraffes, my dear.
And is it totally ghetto to just put a onesie on him and have his bare legs hanging out of the baby carrier? The kid sweats in his sleep, much less outside on a hot day.
These are the burning questions, my friends.
6 comments:
Just did the zoo yesterday. And I've done it a lot. So I'll pretend I'm a pro...he, he, he...
Onesie on him and bare legs is ideal. Put an extra in the diaper bag in case of a blowout. :)
As far as the baggage goes, less is more, especially if it is hot. Don't try to pack for every contingency because 1 - you can't, and 2 - most often the contingencies don't happen, so you end up lugging, lugging, lugging. A serious joy killer.
Sunscreen very lightly if you feel so inclined, but we've always done well with a hat or burpie over the baby's head when he's in the carrier and a receiving blanket draped over the stroller when he's riding. Keep clothes and blankets lightweight because overheating is something to keep in mind for a teeny guy.
The stroller/carrier both is a good idea because when baby is carried, the cooler can ride. Keep the cooler light so when baby is riding, the cooler won't kill your er, Chris's, back :)
Mostly, don't feel like you have to see everything all in one day. Pick out three or four "musts" and get there in the morning - animals are lethargic and boring in the afternoons. There are lots of zoo trips ahead - don't overdo yourself or the baby. :)
And that is the end of my book on going to the zoo. You are in for a treat. It's one of our favorites around here...Say hi to the monkeys for me. :)
I agree with Traci, don't over pack because all those what-if's rarely happen. I have a tendency to over pack and then I am mad because I brought too much and I am tired of carrying it around.
I subscribe to the theory that one should never try to see everything in one day, for it makes for cranky kids. Traci is a pro. . .
Onesies are great and no it's not ghetto, they are perfect. My babies all stayed in onesie's all summer long. Daniel is currently sporting a blue stripped one. Bare baby legs are cute, especially chubby ones. It's all about Z's comfort.
I never used sunscreen because their skin is so sensitive so we just used a wide brimmed hat and put the baby in a light colored onesie.
Most importantly have a GREAT time. Enjoy your time out as a family.
Yeah...what they said...
I also concur with what the others have said. A onesie is perfect. It's all about Z's comfort and I would guess he'd feel most comfy in just a onesie. And hats are great too, esp. for wee little ones if you're trying to avoid sunscreen.
We just went to the zoo last weekend. Make sure to take lots of H2O for you guys, esp. if it's going to be hot. Smart to go in the AM! Have fun! =)
If onesies are ghetto, I'd better buy a gun. Heck, that's almost dressing up these days. I'm tired of changing the clothes.
I suppose it goes without saying, but CAMERA.
And I'd sunscreen him. I know it is too late now, but Arbonne has their "all natural" version that I feel slightly better about with the teenies. I spent a lot of time under an umbrella with Charming in a hat last year.
deff sunscreen you do not want a sunburnt kid~telling you from experience...they are misraeble and so are you. Arbonne is perfect cuz it's all natu-rale! ;-)
Post a Comment