Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weighty Decisions: Fudge Round or Apple?

Eating less these days has been incredibly enlightening.

When I started my prescription weight loss pills, I didn't intend to tell Splenda what I was doing.  She's a vulnerable teen.  Developing a healthy self-image at this time in her life is vital, and I didn't want to put any ideas in her head that she was less than beautiful.

(She really is beautiful.  It makes me so happy when she wants me to help fix her hair.  Especially now that she has learned the best timing to ask me is before I start getting ready for church.  Not when I have one baby on my lap, another on my back, and my hair is in the fourth level of Dante's Hades.)

(I digress.)

I simply started eating less.  Instead of 3-4 cinnamon rolls at breakfast, I ate one and an apple.  More water than pop.  Fewer cookies and cakes, practically no french fries.  Basically, I cut my portions down to 1/3-1/2 of what I usually eat.  

She noticed right away, and when I told her I wanted to lose some weight, she shrugged and asked, "Why? That's weird!"

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that response.  I'm not hideous by any means, but I started out significantly over 200 lbs.  I thought it would be something like "Good for you," or "It's about time."

But she has a healthy view of herself, and doesn't look at a dress size as meaning anything more than a number.  That's a great place to start!

Another thing that shocked me is when I took a bite of a fudge round and discovered ... a bite is all I wanted. Even at Christmas, I enjoyed plenty of chocolate and ginger snaps, but it lasted much longer than usual.  

Now at a net loss of 18 pounds after a month of smaller portions and my prescription, I can no longer wear most of my clothes.  Way too big!  I tried on a size 14 skirt today - still too small, but a 14/16 dress fit just fine.  I'm excited to be able to shop at a variety of stores soon, instead of two or three plus-size stores.  

Here's a "before" and "during" shot for the sake of journaling.

My 30th Birthday Surprise! party
May 28, 2010
Oh dear. 
Now I have a startlingly clear memory
of just exactly how many pieces of cake I ate.

Today

Are you shocked at the difference? I know I am.  I'm looking forward to working hard to keep it off.





No comments:

Post a Comment