Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Mother Lode: Loads of Mother Guilt

Zesty has totally dropped his daytime nap.  On the bright side, he understands that he needs to still be in his bed for some quiet time every day, even if he doesn't sleep.  My idea of quiet time is merely that he is not underfoot and digging stuff out of the closets.

I felt like a heel Sunday. Church was cancelled for the evening service, so I made good on my Facebook promise of rearranging.  I was trying to clear out a spot in my closet to store my ANCIENT tv, and Zesty thought I was on the floor waiting for him to jump on my back.  I (kinda) yelled at him to back off, and he just ... did that and walked away.

My heart dropped when I realized he was only trying to love on me. As soon as I was done scooting over my shoes and boots, I found him and gave him a special hug.

I read Marianne's note about enjoying her firstborn even though she's in the final throes of pregnancy.  Recalling those last six weeks of pregnancy with Pinky, and remembering all the photos I took of Zesty at that time.  They have the same background: the living room view from my recliner.  I was so tired, and so very pregnant. I almost don't remember October and November 2009, and it made me wish I still had those moments of my baby boy.

So yesterday I bundled him up like Ralphie and played outside in the snow with him.  Later we took an excursion to WalMart. Just the two of us. He was so good.  It was completely enjoyable.  

More than I care to admit, parenting has been crowd control instead of delight.  This new year, I am going to commit to spending more individual time with the kids.  That might mean I'll be on the interweb less, but what good will it do my family if I am connected to the whole world, but not my children?

I want moments like this every day. 








2 comments:

Mandie said...

Love the picture of you and Zesty. He looks so much like you in this picture. I think he also looks like your sister to a bit there too.
Mandie

MotherT said...

You will find as your children get older it will be those random minutes of playing in the snow, having a tea party, laying in bed talking and cuddling, or reading a book together that will be the memories they hold.

This is one of my favorite pictures!

Post a Comment