Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Leftover Snow Family

Materials used:
Landscaping timber left over from when they built the playset area
Primer left over from when they painted all the crazy colors in the house taupe
Yarn in my stash
Old rarely-used black fleece scarf
Red paint left over from our first Christmas when Splenda decorated star ornaments to give away
Various odds and ends from around the house




Mr Lemon cut varying lengths of the timber for me with his fancy fancy saw that I'm not allowed to touch.  I primered each piece, and then ... left them that way.

And then I went crazy on them trying to make them look like my family.

For Daddy Snowman, I used part of the black fleece scarf and a roll of toilet paper to make him a top hat and matching scarf.  Not that Mr Lemon wears a top hat in real life, but it seemed like a very snowmanly thing to do.  Also, let it be noted that YES I wasted a perfectly good roll of toilet paper to make a decoration.

Momma Snow-woman has a tan knit scarf, and a matching beret, with a detachable flower accessory.

Big Sister Snow-girl boasts a zebra handbag, purple crochet scarf, and black earmuffs.  I printed a zebra image off the interweb, cut out a stencil, and painted the white stripes on some black fabric I had.  To finish it, I tacked on a zebra fabric button I had in the sewing box.  The strap is a black knit headband that is too big for Pinky and too small for Splenda.

Little Brother Snow-boy has a matching scarf and hat, and a sled made from popsickle sticks.  I got my inspiration for the sled from an ornament that my Mom made me years ago.  It hangs on my tree every year :)

Sweet Sissy Snow-baby ... she just has a matching scarf and hat that Nana bought her.  It's just a tad too small, so on the snow baby it goes.

I did not purchase one item for this project - everything is left over from something else! I'm so proud of my snow people.  Mr Lemon and Splenda think they need faces, but I rather like the rustic look of no faces.  Plus, I'd probably totally ruin them if I tried to do eyes, nose, and a mouth.

Whatcha think?

Linking to:
12/3/2010 Frugal Friday hosted by The Shabby Nest

8 comments:

~cjoy said...

perfection

Sarah said...

I love 'em as is. Don't add faces! I'll send ya my address and you can make me some. ;)

MotherT said...

You did a lovely job letting your inner creator out! Those are so cute and they will look adorable up on the ledge for many Christmases to come.

Mary said...

Looks perfect just the way they are! Very creative and festive!

Anonymous said...

I think they are darling and I am strongly in the camp of "no faces" I think they are perfect just the way they are!! Great job!!

K said...

Very nice. I agree--no faces.

My husband doesn't let me touch his saws either...

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

You done good. No faces. Tell folk who ask that they are former Amish snow people.

If they are to go on the ledge, secure them well. I'd hate anyone to be bonked on the head with one of them

Amy said...

How big are they? I'm having a hard time picturing their size since there isn't anything to compare them to in the picture.

They are ADORABLE by the way =)

Post a Comment