Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm on a roll with this under $15 project deal

We have our annual Ladies Banquet this weekend for my church.  I've mentioned this event before, but let's just sum it up to say NO KIDS, BEST FRIENDS, and AWESOME.

It's catered this year! in our own church's Fellowship Hall!  It's so nice to get to reap the rewards of all our hard work this summer.  Sometimes I still catch myself looking around at church to see if there's something we forgot to paint.

(I use that term "we" very loosely.  I am pretty sure I did about .125% of the painting.  I didn't even paint my own office.  Mr Lemon did that for me.)

(Anyhoo.)

I've been uber inspired this season by my new interweb bff The Shabby Nest.  She decorates from the Dollar Store.  Can you tell? I can't.

So for my gift exchange, I wanted to make something.  Or, "sumpin" as Zesty says.  I thunk, and I thunk, and I remembered a post I loved from Friday about pillows.

I also remembered this great sweater I got from Goodwill last winter.  It is so warm and cozy, but it is way too big for me now that I'm not post-partum and nursing.  And also, wow, my house was a wreck.


So I picked up a couple of small pillow forms from WalMart, and a 9' roll of wired ribbon for pretties, and went to town.

I stuffed the pillows in the sleeves and just cut those babies off.  I did a straight seam, a zigzag, and another straight seam for good measure across the cut edge, so they wouldn't fray.  The edge that was formerly the end of the sleeve I sewed by hand using a whipstitch.  And wouldn't you know, I had exactly the right amount of ribbon to make a lovely presentation.  I even sat down and wrote an original little four line poem to make a tag.


Don't you wish you were coming to my party Friday night?  I have no idea who will end up with them, but we play a game with the gift exchange, so I can be sure that either someone who wants them will end up with them, or I will be bringing them home.  Suits me either way.  AND - I have enough of that sweater left to make one with buttons for my sister :)  

2 $5.97 pillow forms
$2 roll of ribbon
Sweater - old enough that it counts as free
Grand total $13.97 for a present that isn't a candle

2 comments:

MotherT said...

That pillow pile looks adorable!

Oh, and you may be planning to gift the button pillow to your sister, but your little pillow-thieving niece will be the one that claims it! All pillows belong to her. (She tells you it's "Me pillow!")

Charity said...

Great! I love them! They look so cozy! Thanks for posting me your after:)

Post a Comment