Thursday, January 7, 2010

So happy new year and all that

(I mentioned that I was not thrilled with all the nosey people commenting about the baby in the Moby wrap. It's not that I don't want people to notice that I make cute kids, because I do, and they are cute, but it's like I'm a freak of nature or something.)

(That being said - I'm not going to stop babywearing, I just needed to vent.)

(AND - when we went to Mom's last week, I picked up two more slings from Mom and Sica. Yay.)

Let that trip be forever known as The Day That Everything Possible Went Wrong Except No One Actually Puked, Thanks Be To God.

To test your knowledge of a day trip driving 3 hours one way in a car with three kids in the back seat (a CAR. Not a minivan or SUV.), which of these things did not happen?

a) Donut glaze flakes all over a child
b) Child standing up in the car seat
c)Realizing I never buckled him back in after I took him out to shake off all the donut glaze flakes
d) Pulling off at an exit in Cincinnati that you have to drive through the projects to get back on the interstate
e) Poosplosion
f) Nursing break
g) Child not sleeping the ENTIRE drive up
h) Tattling. Lots of tattling.
i) Despite all of the junk eaten at Nana's house, a low-sugar episode
j) Nursing break
k) Wailing and gnashing of teeth because the light is in a child's eyes
l) Peace and quiet
m) A non-diapered child potty accident in the car
n) "The bathroom is closed for cleaning, your kid cannot use the bathroom."
o) A nice hotel clerk letting the kid use the bathroom despite the "no public restrooms" sign
p) The thundering Momma voice "No.More.Talking."

While I'd love to continue the pattern on to "z," I tuned out the rest of the trip and just kept counting backwards from ten. The next morning I was glad to see I was home safe in bed, and not in jail, and all my children were alive.

Sometimes that's just the mark of a productive day.

6 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Preach it, girl. Been there. Done that. Have the gray hairs to prove it.

Mrs. NB

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I've had a few trips similar to that with a certain blog writer involved. (Mazza's anyone?) Looks like we both survived.

Jewel said...

Are you saying that ALL of those things happened on your way to see your parents?!?!
You are ONE super woman, wife, mom, christian, Mrs. Lemon!!
I'm so thankful that you all survived the trip! :-)
Wow..I'm still shaking my head here. wow.

Liz said...

Jewel - everything but l) peace and quiet

MotherT said...

As your dad said, we've experienced a few of those types of trips only with you and Sica. It's amazing how 2 girls in a backseat can feel & sound like 10! You can start laughing over it in a couple of years.

Code Yellow Mom said...

A friend of mine told me that the best advice she ever received about the little children years was to take lots of trips because that would be all you'd remember from those years. Hmmmm. Not sure if that's good or bad. Or even true. But something about it rang a bell with me...

Post a Comment