A week or so ago we had a series of rough nights with the baby. He was up several times in the night, and each time Mr Lemon just laid him in bed with me to nurse. Handy, because I could continue sleeping. Not so handy later, because the milk appendages were becoming increasingly gnawed and sore, what with the four teeth he had coming in at once and all.
I finally decided enough was enough. We were feeding him before bedtime, he wasn't actually hungry in the night anymore, it was just a habit. A habit we were willing to fight to break. The first night we let him cry it out in the night. The second night I got up and comforted him back to sleep but didn't nurse him. The third night - he slept until 5:30. Anything after 5am is good for me, so we were pleased with the progress.
But since I had been nursing him so much, and now cutting out that early o'clock feeding? It has decreased my supply. Drastically. I was forced to nurse him again two days this week because I didn't have a bottle ready when he needed it.
Yesterday I decided to take the step of giving him formula. Like all first time mommas, I have books and resources. They all say "Ask your pediatrician about the type of formula you should feed your baby." Seriously. Your Baby's First Year, page 70.
(see me cite my sources? I am a research genius.)
So I dutifully called my pediatrician for tips and suggestions. The nurse called me back and said "There's no technique, just buy formula and do it."
Thanks. Thank you for those words of wisdom.
We decided to give him one bottle of formula a day, hoping that my milk supply will catch back up. Sadly, he took the formula just fine. No pushing away the bottle, no funny face at the different taste. Just energetic gulping.
However, he fell asleep last night earlier than usual, so I didn't feed him his bedtime snack of cereal. I expected he would wake up early and hungry, so I had no problem waking up with him at 4:30am with a bottle of formula. Normally his diaper doesn't need to be changed then, so I was surprised to see his diaper and jammie bottoms soaked. I changed him, but was too tired (read: lazy) to put new jammie bottoms on him.
Therefore, Mr Lemon got a surprise this morning when he came in from work and picked Zesty up from his crib. A surprise such as a wet floor and a BARE BOTTOM. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. He took his own diaper off, and then stood at his crib rail and peed on the floor. And the mattress, and crib padding. Here a pee, there a pee, everywhere a pee, pee.
The moral of this story: When you sow laziness, you reap a lot of work and laundry later.
Just call me Mrs "Aesop" Lemon.
8 comments:
NOW the fun really begins! If Z if figuring out how to get his diaper off, you will see lots of this happening. (If I remember correctly, and I believe I do, his mama was a bit of a streaker for a while!) ;)
Oh, that is too funny!!
*Snort!*
Oops, nope, not laughing at you. Not at all. *giggle*
I am so glad that it wasn't here a poo, there a poo, everywhere a poo, poo! All of my kids have enjoyed a little fingerpainting with the poo. Good times!
Mrs. Nurse Boy
Does it not say on the right side of your blog "Want Freash Lemonade?" Zesty was just trying to help. Ask and ye shall recieve.
LOL Hahahahahahahaha!!! I love it!!
Sorry, sorry, let me compose myself. That is so funny.
All of my kids have removed their diaper and enjoyed the freedom a little too much. Mrs. Nurse Boy is right though, mine painted with poo!
Daniel unsnapped one side of his diaper yesterday (no jamma bottoms) and I made haste and put some on him!! I am glad he took the formula. Sometime kiddos won't handle the switch and then they won't eat. That's horrible. At least you know he'll take the back up.
I'm sure that was loverly for you. You asked on twitter about diaper stories, I don't have one personally but one about my cousin.
He was old enough to be in a big boy bed but was still in diapers, in the middle of the night he went into his mama's room and whispered, "There's a man in my pants." She assured him there was no man in his pants. She gets up, tucks his sweet little self back into bed only to have him come back an hour or so later. "Mama, there is a man in my pants." Finally, after the third round, she took off his diaper and found a little green army man. In his diaper.
Wet beds, does it ever end? Nope, it turns into wet toilet seat. Gotta love those little boys.
Partay sounds so fun, girls need girls.
Post a Comment